Mr Tom Doak of Renaissance Golf Design Inc. has been appointed to undertake a design upgrade of the Ocean course generally consistent with his Concept Plan dated February 2017.
Playing patterns and statistics at Cape Schanck and the results of a previous member’s survey clearly indicated the Ocean course was significantly less popular for members and their guests when compared to play on the Old and Moonah courses.
In the opinion of the Board, Committee and Mr Doak, the appeal of the course for members will be enhanced as a consequence of the redesign by the provision of a great golf course with eighteen high-quality holes including significantly superior green complexes, improved routing and fewer more appropriately positioned and designed bunkers.
The National is committed to being progressive and offering the best possible golfing experience for current and future members and the Board and Committee believe the time is right to further enhance the already outstanding offering to members with a Tom Doak redesign of the course.
- All 18 greens will be reshaped or built to complement the natural contours of the land, which will ensure consistency of design and the age of the turf;
- A number of new greens will be built in receptive natural hollows;
- Greens will offer more hole locations than currently available, with options to set up each hole to be easier or more difficult;
- The number of fairway and greenside bunkers will be reduced and the style standardised;
- Large open fairways with short carries from most tees will be retained;
- The routing of the course will be changed including having the ocean in the background for three new holes; and
- Most of the fairway corridors and many of the existing features which are well-regarded by members will be retained and have been incorporated into the design plans.